Saturday, February 11, 2012

Welcome back Saturday.

If I'm being real, which I am, I will let you in on a fact about Chris and I's life since we have lived in California. Saturday sucks. Big time. This is partially due to the fact that Chris is a full-time seminary student and Saturday is a homework day. It always ended up that way because Chris works part-time, wish he didn't have to, but he does. While Chris was on break we could at least enjoy the morning/afternoon together but ever since we have moved here he has worked every Saturday from 4ish until almost 1 in the morning. And again, I'm being real, I don't really have a lot of friends so I've spent...oh probably two Saturdays actually doing something other than shuffling through crappy movies on Netflix.

Thus...Saturday suuucked.

A couple weeks ago we mourned as we realized we would go back to the Saturday schedule where Chris does homework all day and then works all night. While I stare at him for hours or clean every inch of our apartment. And then God was awesome. He gave Chris a new, perfect, wonderful job at Biola and YES he doesn't work Saturday anymore. So today we celebrated.

Let me introduce you to two of the best things about Orange County.
1. Bear Flag Fish Company
2. The OC Mart Mix

First things first, Bear Flag. You have all caught the picture that we are major foodies. But what I have yet to expose on this blog is my favorite of all favorites...and that is sushi. Sometimes people hesitate when asked "what's your favorite food". Not me. I will answer the question before you even finish because I am confident in my selection. Nothing makes me salivate more than a plate full of raw tuna. Bear Flag was a brief walk from the condo we lived in at Lido and let's just say it's good for the wallet that there is a bit of distance between us now. This place is so good I think every time I have been there has been a line out the door. It's also one of those places where I feel like I've walked on to the set of The Hills or one of those "reality" shows about Orange County. Every one looks famous and or like they spend every dime they have on their clothes. And if you aren't wearing Ray Ban you might as well just get out. I hope you're getting the picture here. Normally that might deter me but the Poke bowl at this place (what you see so magnificently to the left) is so life changing I actually am beginning to fear the day we move away from it. I know, that's big.

Let's move on to the second portion of our favorite things day. That would be the Mix, one of our most favorite places to hang out. And there are many reasons.
1. Amazing coffee...Portola Coffee Lab is there, contender with Intelligentsia but there's still a little more affection for Intelly at this point.
2. The best cookie YOU. WILL. EVER. EAT. I'm not joking. Christopher Garrens' Let them eat cake. All the pastries and cookies are half off an hour before they close. Yes we know too much.
3. Fooooood trucks. North Carolinians you have no clue what I'm talking about. If you think of the food trucks in NC, get that out of your mind because it's opposite.
4. Adorable baby clothes. Random I know. It's not just the baby stuff. There are some incredible shops all throughout the mix.
5. Grade A people watching. Again this is a place that is stereotypical California at it's best. Lots to giggle at.

Today we just focused on the coffee part since we already had our fill of Poke. And let me just rewind a second to tell you how much Poke means to us. I didn't finish mine. Which is alarming. But we still wanted to hang out at the Mix for a few hours. So we went to two different gas stations to find ice so we could keep my leftover poki but not have to miss out on the mix by taking it home. It's kind of silly but there were no regrets.

Bottom line. Saturday is redeemed. Even if I'm still mostly staring at him doing homework, which is what sort of happened today. And I was awesome and filled out his planner with his course work because I'm wife of the year.



Now I will leave you with some really cute pictures of my model husband. He's going to appreciate this. Perhaps even hack in to my blog and delete this part. I'll just change my password. 



3 comments:

  1. Great sushi, fantastic coffee and 2 people wonderfully in love... what a blessing to hear !!...doesn't get much better than that in my book !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing about & and seeing all of this CA stuff...can't wait to visit all that..and you both! I know it's far away, but you are having a unique piece of your story written there. God~each-other~sushi~foodtrucks~coffee~new job~ all praise!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my sister and brother. We need to see your faces more! Google+!

    ReplyDelete