Thursday, February 9, 2012

I hope you're not hungry.

Seriously, if you are hungry you need to take a moment to get a snack because I am about to throw down some stuff that's going to make you salivate if you even remotely appreciate pork.

Ok. If you are ready now we can proceed. Chris and I try and mix things up every now and again by throwing some completely new recipes in to our routine. Sometimes we fail, mostly we succeed. This week we had an especially successful discovery and we have the Pioneer Woman to thank yet again. We would be lost without you lady, I don't even know her real name which I'm just now realizing is a little sad. Chris purchased a pork shoulder and we threw around a couple options and landed on one we were both a little nervous about beeecause...it has freakin Dr. Pepper in it. Whaaat? Gross. I know. But it was so far from gross I can't even convince you enough without shoving a fork-full in your mouth (and we do have some leftover so if you live in Southern California and or would like to come visit us in the next day there may still be some left).

Chris and I especially love a meal that lasts us for many days and my goodness did it. After we ate it for the first time it honestly looked like we hadn't touched it. Pioneer Woman is a far superior blogger (clearly because it's how she made her career) so I'll just let her describe the recipe in all her witty ways. Mmmmm pork. Click on the word pork :) this is where you will need the snack to prevent the grumblings.

Now back to our humble kitchen. Check out what we did.


The credit really goes to Chris on the amazing tacos, but my big moment came the next night when I whipped out these bad boys. 


You're probably thinking, "what in the world are those, they don't look that exciting?" Well they are and true credit goes to my dearest roommate, Jamie. You wouldn't know it when you look at her long blonde hair, blue eyes, and white skin but this girl was born and raised and IS South American. And I am soooo thankful because she exposed me to some crazy good food. My favorite of which were arepas. And if Jamie is reading this blog she probably is laughing out loud as she recalls the way I say arepas, because I say it wrong and in a very white, non-hispanic way. Seriously though if Masa is not in your life, get it there, fry it up and shove some pork in it because oh.my.gosh it's incredible. 

I don't think I'll drag the pork thing out any further. Even though I could. I will leave you with this comfort food deliciousness that is our other most recent success. If you are a RealSimple subscriber all I have to say is that last months issue came when Chris and I were very, veerrry hungry. We had just flown across the US from Jen's wedding and we got our mail and the most beautiful picture of chicken pot pie was there on the cover torturing us at 11pm. 

Here's our version. 



Now it doesn't look like much but if only you could have some kind of tasting option via internet...that's kind of a weird suggestion but I just want everyone to understand how yummy it is! It's not your classic pot pie (which I still love) It's a little lighter, and then the bready goodness on the left is puff pastry in all it's flaky, warm heavenliness which was so great with the less creamy pot pie. Ok seriously, I could keep going but I'm going to stop. I don't have an accessible version of this recipe but it's in last month's RealSimple and it's worth tracking down. Or if you feel passionately about it, because I do, I can write out the recipe :) 

See I told you, snacks are necessary. I'm going to go eat a brownie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment